Three men confess to honour killing

MADURAI: After the father and two relatives of a girl, who allegedly murdered her husband, surrendered on Friday in Tuticorin district, a man-missing case was altered to a murder case.

The case refers to the killing of Sriram, 24, by his wife’s relatives, police said. The girl, 19-year-old Sonia, is the daughter of Isakkimuthu, a resident of Alwarkatkulam in Tuticorin. Sonia and Sriram, son of one Ganeshan, eloped last year after a love affair of four years. They were distant relatives and both families had opposed their affair and warned them against it.

Sriram is a resident of Eral in Thoothukudi district.

The couple married at the registrar’s office in Royapuram in Chennai on September 3, last year. Thereafter, they stayed with Sriram’s sister Selvi in Madurai. On hearing this, Isakkimuthu filed a habeas corpus plea before the court and the couple were produced before the court on September 29. At the court, Sonia expressed willingness to go with her parents.

But, the couple continued to be in touch with each other through phone. Isakkimuthu and a few relatives asked Sriram to come to Vallanadu near their native place, promising to solemnise their wedding in the presence of their relatives. Sriram went to Vallanadu on October 8 and reportedly informed his sister about his arrival there. As Selvi lost contact with him while talking to him, she feared something amiss and filed a complaint with Srivaikuntam police the next day, expressing doubts about his safety. A man missing case was also registered, police said.

But, the case took a new turn when Isakkimuthu and one Subramanian, a resident of Palayamkottai, surrendered before the magistrate in Sengottai on Friday. They confessed to murdering Sriram. In the evening, another man called Ramasamy surrendered before the village administrative officer in Sawyerpuram in Tuticorin. As they confessed that Isakkimuthu’s son Srikanth had attacked Sriram with iron rods, police are on the lookout for him and investigations are on. They have been remanded to custody.

A link to the article can be found here.